License?

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

May I ask why you chose a GPL license?  This overly restrictive and viral license makes this project entirely unusable by a *lot* of people.

Please reconsider and use a more friendly license instead.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Looks like I can't use this either. Since I cannot change our whole project to GPL it seems that I need to use the 'legal alternative of not using your code'. (as they say in gnu.org). Oh well. HTML <-> XAML route it is. 

I do like Free software. GPL, not so much.

"

Can I release a non-free program that's designed to load a GPL-covered plug-in?
It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license of the plug-in makes no requirements about the main program.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main program must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is distributed for use with these plug-ins.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication between them is limited to invoking the ‘main’ function of the plug-in with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.

See also the question I am writing free software that uses a non-free library.

You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program mean I have to GPL my program?
Yes.

If so, is there any chance I could get a license of your program under the Lesser GPL?
You can ask, but most authors will stand firm and say no. The idea of the GPL is that if you want to include our code in your program, your program must also be free software. It is supposed to put pressure on you to release your program in a way that makes it part of our community.

You always have the legal alternative of not using our code.

"